November 21, 2022
Alliance for Retired Individuals Hosts 2022 Retirement Safety Symposium
Greater than a dozen audio system from unions and authorities businesses, younger staff and others shared methods to handle the persevering with retirement safety emergency in America on the Alliance’s Retirement Safety Symposium: An Intergenerational Seminar on Tuesday. Attendees mentioned pensions in addition to different cornerstones of retirement safety, together with Social Safety and Medicare. A number of dozen attendees attended in individual at AFL-CIO Headquarters in Washington, DC and scores extra participated nearly.
Alliance President Robert Roach, Jr. served because the convenor and made opening and shutting remarks. Alliance Government Director Richard Fiesta gave a presentation on Social Safety and Medicare.
“Strengthening and increasing Social Safety and educating youthful staff in regards to the worth of conventional pensions are important for each policymakers and union organizers,” mentioned President Roach.
“We’re constructing an intergenerational motion that features extra younger staff becoming a member of the struggle to defend our pensions. It’s a key a part of the trouble to enhance the retirement safety of all Individuals.”
AFL-CIO President Liz Shuler gave the opening remarks in a particular video about Labor’s function within the passage of the American Rescue Plan, which included the Butch Lewis Act.
Rep. John Larson of Connecticut, Chairman of the Home Methods and Means Social Safety Subcommittee, spoke about the necessity to shield and increase Social Safety now.
“Social Safety is the nation’s #1 insurance coverage program, the #1 anti-poverty program for the aged and kids, and Republicans are speaking about holding the debt ceiling hostage to make cuts at a time when this system must be enhanced,” mentioned Rep. Larson. “It must be enhanced as a result of persons are getting under poverty stage checks, there hasn’t been a rise in additional than 50 years.”
You possibly can watch Rep. Larson’s full remarks right here. Different highlights included:
- Senior officers from the Pension Profit Warranty Company (PBGC) spoke in regards to the PBGC’s Pension Insurance coverage packages, Particular Monetary Help for Multiemployer Plans beneath the American Rescue Plan, and PBGC Experiences.
- Meghan Rozarie, Senior Affiliate with the Retirees Group and Subject Providers Division of the American Federation of Academics (AFT), provided a presentation that included how the retirement disaster had affected her family.
- Mike Walden, Incorporator and former President, Nationwide United Committee to Shield Pensions (NUCPP) and Ken Stribling, present NUCPP President, represented Pension Warrior Rita Lewis.
- Ilana Boivie, Senior Analysis Economist for the Strategic Sources Division with the Machinists Union (IAMAW), spoke about “Tendencies in Retirement Bargaining: What Do (Younger) Staff Need?”
- Sisto Campana, Labor Advocate with the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Staff (AFSCME) up to date individuals on the standing of public pension plans.
Movies of the displays and extra materials can be found right here.